The unsafe storage of ammunition and weapons can lead to unplanned explosions at munition sites (UEMS) as well as the proliferation of small arms and light weapon. The number of UEMs has increased substantially across the world over the past 20 years while the proliferation of small arms and light weapons across Africa and the Middle East presents a growing problem to regional security.
The HALO Trust has engaged in Weapons and Ammunition Management (WAM) projects across the world (Afghanistan, Angola, Cambodia, Central African Republic, Côte d'Ivoire, Georgia, Mozambique and Somaliland). In addition to the destruction of weapons and ammunition, a number of these projects involve the rehabilitation and construction of armouries and ammunition stores across the world. HALO aims to ensure that weapons and ammunition are securely and safely stored and accounted for in line with international standards to help protect civilian populations from the threat of armed violence and UEMS.
In order to support this work, HALO requires Construction Managers to be based in the field in order to produce engineering assessments of structures and provide recommendations for rehabilitation – in line with international weapons and ammunition storage standards (IATG). Further work includes the project management of construction/rehabilitation works.
Requirements for the role:
- Construction qualifications – minimum of a Bachelor degree in a construction related subject (i.e. Civil Engineering, Building Surveying).
- Project Management – minimum of 2 years, experience in management of construction/engineering related projects. Ideally, management of multiple projects, running concurrently.
- Experience travelling/working in different countries – as these roles are based overseas, the candidate will need to provide evidence of capability to adapt to working in varied and challenging environments.
- The candidate will need to be confident, proactive and highly capable of working independently.
Desirables (not essential):
- Experience working in a construction related role in Africa.
- Candidates fluent in spoken and written French are more likely to be considered for the role.
- Experience in leadership roles, ideally managing the work of others.
- Experience in construction and rehabilitation of buildings for security forces.
Please send your CV (preferably one-page) with covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, marking it Construction Manager.
(Due to the high number of applicants, only short-listed candidates will receive a response)